UN SG's Peace Day Message 2021
This year’s International Day of Peace comes at a crisis point for humanity.
COVID-19 has turned our world upside-down.
Conflicts are spinning out of control. The climate emergency is worsening. Inequality and poverty are deepening.
And mistrust and division are driving people apart at a time when solidarity and collaboration are needed more than ever.
As a human family, we face a stark choice —
Peace or perpetual peril. We must choose peace.That is why I call for a 24-hour ceasefire today.
And by working in solidarity for a lasting, sustainable peace every day, we can tackle the issues facing us.
We need peace to urgently deliver lifesaving vaccines and treatment for COVID-19.
We need peace to recover from the pandemic and re-build shattered systems and shattered lives.
We need peace to level the playing field and reduce inequalities.
We need peace to renew trust in one another — and faith in facts and science.
And we need to make peace with nature — to heal our planet, build a green economy, and achieve our net-zero targets.
Peace is not a naïve dream. It’s a light in the darkness.
Guiding us to the only pathway to a better future for humanity.
Let’s walk the pathway of peace as if our lives depended on it.
Because they do.
Program At a Glance (Nov. 14, 2020)
- Time Zone (Black = Seoul Time, Blue = Chicago Time)
- Zoom Webinar ID : 915 2421 9389 (No Password) / URL: Join the IDP 2020 (click)
*The event (webinar meeting room) will be opened in Nov. 14, 2020 at 08:30 am (Seoul Time Zone) / Nov 13, 2020 at 05:30 pm (Chicago)
One Minute of Silence for World Peace
- Master Charles H. C. Kim (President, Peace School)
(BGM Song) Mr. William Buchholtz (Native American Flautist)
- Dr. Sung-gon Kim (President, KOCUN-IDP)
Secretary-General's Message 2020
- Rev. Norio Sakai (Chairperson, International Association for Religions Freedom Japan Chapter)
UN75 Keynote Speech
Topic: "COVID-19 and Human Security"
- H.E. Ambassador Mr. Won-soo Kim (Former Under Secretary-General, United Nations)
Peace Dialogue with H.E. Ambassador Mr. Won-soo Kim
- Ms. Kehkashan Basu (Founder-President, Green Hope Foundation) / Moderator
- Ms. Carolyn Colman (Senior, Jones College Prep in Chicago)
- Ms. Yuuka Kageyama (PhD Student, Doshisha University in Kyoto)
- Ms. Go-oon Sohn (Freshman, Sungkyungwan University in Seoul)
UN75 Peace Talks
Peace Talks between the UN and Civil Society
Topic: "Shaping Peace Together: Global Citizenship for SDGs"
- Mr. Hwa-seok Ryu (Secretary-General, KOCUN-IDP)
- Mr. Hyun-mook Lim (Director, UNESCO APCEIU)
- Ms. Monica Willard (UN Representative, United Religions Initiative)
- Dr. Suphamet Yunyasit (Secretary-General, Religions for Peace Thailand)
Video Message from Chicago (English Only)
UN75 Intergenerational Dialogue
Intergenerational dialogue with youth leaders
Topic: "Shaping Future Together: New Youth Actions for Peace"
- Ms. Sarah Oliver (Global Youth Coordinator, United Religions Initiative)
- Ms. Jennifer Kim (Committee Chair, Chicago Build the Peace Committee)
- Mr. Issac S. Thomas (Trustee, United Religions Initiative)
- Ms. Asia Boler (Senior, Kenwood Academy High School in Chicago)
- Mr. Jong-won Choi (Senior, Sejong University in Seoul)
- Ms. Honoka Tsukiya (Freshman, School of Oriental and African Studies in London)
- Ms. Seiko Takase (Representative, Aossciation of the Preservation of the UN Pecae Bell)
- Mr. Tae-woo Kim (Executive Director, Corps. PEACE)
Program At a Glance (Nov. 13, 2020)
Global Conversation between Japan and Korea
Topic: "New Generation: Global Citizenship and Rethinking of the Japan-Korea relations
Presentation on the Topic
- Ms. Hinako Takasaki (Sophia University in Tokyo)
- Ms. Joo-young Kim (Handon Global University in Pohang)
Presentation on the Case Study
- Ms. Seo-an Kim (Sukmyung Women's University in Seoul)
- Ms. Nene Takeuchi (Keio University in Tokyo)
Discussion and Q&A for Dialogue
Topic: "Is Global Citizenship a New Solution for the Japan-Korea Relations?"
Discussion and Q&A
- Dr. Kentaro Azuma (Associate Professor, Nagoya University)
- Mr. Tae-woo Kim (Deputy Secretary-General, KOCUN-IDP)
- Japanese and Korean participants
Program At a Glance (Nov. 15, 2020)
Topic: "Review of the IDP 2020 and Discuss a new Agenda for IDP 2021"